Skip to main content

Reply to "Closing snip"

Round Two (INTENTIONS of Sniping)

I agree with ALL the "intangible secondary reasons" listed in the prior posts. But, if you took away the "primary" reason (saving, same as a lower closing price) and only had the "secondary" reasons, I doubt many (I didn't say "any") of us would be sniping. And, I think most of us would still snipe if we only had the "saving" reason.

"So under those circumstances, do we really save money" - Then no reason not the leave a proxy bid as soon as you spot the auction. Remember, some of us have admitted that they have increased their snipe due to other proxy bidders.

If "winning" versus "saving" is the prime objective, then to avoid sniping fees (snipers pay this fee because they're benevolent?) I would suggest placing exaggerated proxy bids. You won't always win, but sniping doesn't insure winning either, and you won't have to worry about outages (which would probably increase your "winnings" but reduce your "savings").

What this "winning" argument is saying is, "I want to win the auction at a price that I'm willing to pay, but if I place a proxy bid, I may not be able to get the item at the price I want, or I may have to pay more for it." Simple solution - increase the price you're willing to pay if winning, versus price, is more important.

The purpose of sniping is to not give the other guy(s) a chance to respond (be it ebay or Vietnam), period! Some may find the definition of "sniper" interesting.

I snipe to "buy" the item at the "cheapest" price. I must be an exception when it comes to sniping and to my other purchases (be they "bargains" or good "deals'). Maybe I'm the only person on this forum that thinks this way, or maybe I'm the only one willing to admit it without trying to sugar-coat it.

(I doubt anyone will address my argument in it's entirety. Two or three quotes, tops - "rebuttal nibblers").