Skip to main content

Reply to "Bidding Early with AS?"

quote:
Originally posted by mar:
quote:
And I don't care what anyone says, no-one can manually react with only 30 seconds to go.

Care or not, I've done it countless times..... Remember, you can have more than one window open at a time to complete the task.

Absolutely. I've done it with like 9 or 10 seconds to go. I see no reason why it can't be done in even 7 or 6 seconds, maybe less. The process (1) click on refresh screen (2) screen refreshes, (3) mentally register fact that a price change has occurred (4) click "confirm bid" on your back-up bid (already set in another window, obviously) (5) bid goes thru, could all happen in just 3 or 4 seconds.

I suppose "reacting" to a bid, to R2's mind, includes viewing a bid then ruminating on the appropriate response, then setting up and confirming one's new bid; or maybe he means, being able to react in such a way (i.e. several last nibbles) as to be sure of topping the other bidder. Sure, only a fool would count on accomplishing that within 10 or 20 seconds.

There was once I bid manually on something with 30 seconds to go, and another guy got in 2 bids within that time, that I'm fairly sure were both reacting to mine, for several reasons. E.g. He placed 3 bids near the end (the 1st one was a little bit before mine), and he had this pattern with other items too. I'd definitely have been ticked if my bid had been an AS snipe firing early. It's an occupational hazard of using AS, but I've never found the usual explanations all that convincing.