Skip to main content

Reply to "BIDDING"

Mrs. M. gave you sound advice. I have had great luck with auctionsniper because I wait until near the close of an auction to put in my snipe. I collect antique prints of a certain kind, and I draw fire and suffer price increases from my competitors, if they see a bid from me on an item. So I remain invisible, follow the pattern of bids in the history (to see who folded when and who put in a monster bid that has held against all comers.) If I really want the item, I put my snipe in for 100-150% more than the current high bid five to ten minutes before the end of the auction. Then I sweat it like everyone else. If you are a collector, your purchases are scrutinized by other collectors, who may share the same taste in theme or color or artist. That's why it's important to remain invisible in the process. I tested this theory by bidding on a couple of items that I didn't really want, and several of the people who have lost to me in the past took the bait and paid too much. Avoid bidding wars that start days in advance of an auction close, too. As Mrs. M. says, the same item will turn up again soon. I learned that the hard way, but at least I enjoy looking at the print.

Good luck and make the most of the wonderful service before everybody finds out about it!