Skip to main content

Reply to "Bid Stacking - WTF?"

I've come upon this thread rather belatedly. Rick an interesting point but I don't think it relates to what the seller seems to be complaining about. What he calls 'bid stacking' just seems to be the current leading bidder increasing his maximum bid, which is something eBay positively encourages. I am not sure how something that is invisible to other users unless they look at the bid history is going to deter competition. To them the current leading bid is typically unchanged (though it might go up slightly to establish the proper increment over the second bid - if that still happens). Indeed I would say the user potentially has things back to front as a bidder building up to his maximum slowly might drag other bidders into a bidding war, whereas one large maximum might just cause other bidders to concede defeat early. On the other hand of course one large bid can be nibbled away at. Either way the seller wins and the buyer who bid most would win. Not with this seller though...

Perhaps I've missed his point. As his is the only mention of bid stacking in this context I've found on the net I am a bit mystified.