Skip to main content

Reply to "Being beaten using 7 seconds"

Do to my [mostlikely] not understanding eBay increments, I sure would appreciate clarification concerning below. I have quoted the text and then underneath added my 'current' understanding.
Please help me to understand... Wink

Loumojay says:
quote:
My max bid was 6201.99

eBay says: "The bid increment is the amount by which the current high bid is raised each time someone places a higher bid."
Does this mean that whatever this current bid is, the next possible/valid higher bid must be equal to or greater than: current bid + bid increment.
If so, then I see/understand that 6102.00 + 100.00 = 6202.00, hence the shortfall of 0.01

What's bugging me is just how does one get a handle on where to place the max bid?
I mean, that winning bid could have been 6152.00, so how can knowing the bid increments help me 'before' the event to make max bid decision? (since only a bid of 6252.00 or more would have won, yes?)

Or, is it that generally, bids usually float around the logical increment levels?
eg, 3000.01, 3100.01, ..., 3900.01
and that someone would not have a high bid of say 3880.00 whereby only 3980.01 would qualify as winning.

I am probably making this over complicated, but gotta voice what's in the vacuum !