Skip to main content

Reply to "Auction Sniper misleading users about service"

If email notifications are not a good option, maybe AS should give the bidder the option to a) let AS place bid as it sees fit given net traffic etc. or b) lock the bid at the given lead time regardless of what AS thinks the network is doing (which I presumed to be the case). If there were these options available for each snipe (maybe a pop-up explaining what each option does along with a brief risk explanation) you could avoid the dubiousness of AS placing bids so early.

From the FAQ regarding lead times:

“We don't recommend anything less than 5 seconds Although we send the snipe on time, during peak times an eBay server may not process it in time. This is not the fault of eBay or us; internet traffic is just heavier at certain times. And during peak periods, you might consider adding 2-4 seconds more since their servers seem to be taking quite a hit during that time (5-10 p.m. PST), and on weekends.”

Edit: Emphasis mine.

There isn't a disclaimer stating that AS will use your input lead-time as a general suggestion and bump the time back to avoid missing the bid. In fact, it states the opposite and puts the risk of small lead times on the user. The purpose of sniping is, well sniping and there are risks associated with it, such as the bid not being processed in time. I realize there is also a risk for AS if the bid isn’t processed; AS won’t be paid. I hope that this isn't the factor for AS placing bids early (which is in contradiction with their literature).

You have to remember I'm not necessarily complaining here, but citing some areas where AS communication with customers regarding sniping is a bit questionable and can be improved. AS literature states that bids will be placed at the lead time the user inputs, regardless of network risks. So for you to suggest the time was bumped back because of risk is contradictory and both cannot be correct. Maybe I’m the only person who expects a service to work as stated. If I am, then your service literature needs to change to reflect what the majority of your customers want. AS really needs to resolve this issue.
Last edited by pallbearer