Skip to main content

Reply to "AS no advantage over proxy bids. I despair"

quote:
find interesting is that they were all mass-produced. If I miss one, there is always another one out there just waiting to be found in someone's closet.

Perludum, there you have it encapsulated! These are not hand made one offs or distinctive products, they are to be found and I am certain if you exercise a wee bit of "cunning" you will find them!

I collect Kastrup Holmegaard Canada glassware for my sins.

We had some for our wedding present and I was trying simply to replace the two or three broken ones. Little did I know that there were about fifteen different sizes (we just had three!)

The answer was not in the States - they regularly go for $80 or $90 a set of six.

I have managed to buy them in Australia much cheaper. Why - I buy the twos & threes that come up. Still have a lot of odd glasses, but slowly but surely the sets are coming together. I regard 8 - 12 as a set, but will buy one of a design, because just round the corner is another.

I have also bought boxes for cameras, then aquired the camera. So why don't you look for part sets? A missing Rook or Queen must really devalue them. In the end you will find the missing piece. It will mean a lot of part sets, but in the end you will have a complete one.

Anway my best tip is "Australia only" auctions!

Paul

I have finally acquired aIsle of Lewis chess set many years after reading the story of how they came to be found.