Skip to main content

Reply to "AS enters bid at 11 secs when set to snipe @ 3 secs"

Kildes,

I had exactly the same problem, my snipe was sent 9 seconds before the end, instead of 4 seconds (see http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3033505777&category=11713&rd=1 ). After reading this post, I may have another explanation : you and I might have been "outsniped", this means that the winner also used AS, but with a higher amount. In the FAQ (http://www.auctionsniper.com/faq.aspx#63), AS claims that if 2 people snipe for the same object, they send both snipes at the same time. My guess is that if ebay is slow, AS sends the snipe that has the higher amount on time and the others (who will be outbidded anyway) a few seconds in advance. Could someone from AS confirm that ? if yes, AS should state it clearly in the FAQ.

Even if our bids had been put on time (4 seconds), they would have been "outsniped" by the other, so there's no regret to have.

One more thing : there is litle chance that the winner could have seen our snipe and send a higher manuel bid, because the maximum amount is never sniped until someone make a higher bid. Lets take my snipe : at 17:10:05 sagebrushi put a bid for $76 at 18:02:11, my snipe is sent and the auctions probably goes up to 77$ (not shown there). Then jr120 make a bid at 79$, thinking he is the highest (he doesn't know that my snipe goes up to $150). Finally the snipe of mas2564 is sent, with a higher amount than mine and he wins.

In your case, I think that when your snipe was sent, the auctions went up to $31.04 (one dollar more that the previous bidder). If aeromoonpye had beed a "manual" bidder, he would have bid $32.04 or something like that (like jr120 for me) and would have been immediately outbidded by you. This was not the case because aeromoonpye sent a snipe with an amount higher that $75 and won the bid.

AS can help you win an auction where people, like jrv120 in my case, manually increase their bids a few dollars each time. But if 2 people use AS for the same object, the higher amount always wins.

[This message was edited by callmejack on July 09, 2003 at 12:03 AM.]
Last edited {1}