Skip to main content

Reply to "Are you as demanding as this buyer?"

quote:
Well, Jabber, just like my children, you surely don't have to listen to my opinion or take it. But, that is my opinion. And I have done a lot of business on eBay, both selling and buying. It doesn't mean I am 100% right, but it does mean it has worked for me as a seller.
Hey Shirl!

OK, I get it that shipping within 2 days is the way you operate. In my perception of the ebay world, I consider that practice EXCEPTIONAL! -- definitely NOT an average ebay seller. Since you've done alot of ebay buying, too -- what is the "average" shipping time (time for item to be RECEIVED after PayPal payment) for sellers with whom you've dealt? For this question, lets just consider USA sellers. (In case you don't notice, this is a setup! Wink) Along the same lines, have you ever sent a complaining e-mail to a seller just 3 days into the transaction?

The eye-opening thing for me has been the differing expectations thing resulting in differing characterization of the same transaction being "good" or not so good. My expectation/perception is if I ship within 1 week of payment, I'm providing good service (I'm not shooting for exceptional service all the time, just good service a very high percentage of the time. That's not to say EVERYTHING I ship goes out 7 days after order. Often I'll get something out same day or next day (depending when order received and what else I'm doing that day), but not always, nor do I promise that. Usually, I ship in the 1-4 days after order is received. This is just an average order we're talking about. If the buyer specifically requests prompt shipping because the item is to be a gift or needs to arrive by a particular date, sure I make an effort to fulfill the buyer's request.

Prompt shipping isn't EVERYTHING in good service, although it CAN be a major aspect. Let me give you an interesting example. LAST YEAR, I had an auction for a size 2XL t-shirt. The buyer took MORE than a month to pay. I sent several reminders and "what's up" emails, but never turned nasty in them. I was really curious as to the cause, as the buyer had MANY glowing FB about prompt payments. I also noted that the buyer had bought several other t-shirts from other vendors, most of which were size 3XL. So right about the time I received his payment, I sent a note to him pointing out my observations. I informed him that I had no size 3XL in stock but anticipated getting some within a month or so -- would he like to wait and get a 3XL (or even a 4XL) instead of the 2XL he won in the auction at same price? His answer, yes -- no hurry preferred bigger size. As it ended up, restocking took longer than expected (nearly 3 months?!?). There were a few e-mail exchanges ("Did you forget me?" "No, may need another month -- do you want your money back?" "No, I'll wait.") Finally got the shirt he wanted in the SIZE he wanted nearly 4 months after the auction ended! I included a note with the shipment that I would've left positive FB for him had the FB window not closed on us! Was that a "good" transaction? I thought so, but then maybe my expectations are off on this one, too?