Skip to main content

Reply to "Are AS prorammers outsourced or local?"

quote:
Originally posted by Puppy Raiser:
Hi larry

Always wanted to get into the software end of the business, but spent my career as a hardware slug.

I've dabbled with assembly, but never REALLY figured out what I was doing. Had some good results with Basic jumping to assembly subroutines though. Got into something called Mobol (a twisted and raped version of Cobol) and had some minor success, but that was only good on a single product line of a single company.

I've always been partial to FORTH. Very strange language where you basically create your own keywords. You can have a program where, "take the beer from the refrigerator and drink it" can be a fully functional program! ... or, for those south of the equator .... "put the empty vegemite jar back in the cupboard and never admit to eating it all"!

I've been a tried and true BASIC kinda guy since the beginning ... throw some z80/8080 assembler in for fun too.

RE: AS and their intermittent bugs ... they really are few and generally fixed (by what I read in these forums) rather quickly. I'm wondering though if they could use a few beta testers to run test-auctions on their development system? Things like the recent bid-group snafu would probably have been caught ... but then on the other hand, some changes need to be implemented rapidly because eBay loves to tweak their system and break other peoplese software Smile

Mother Mary Says, 'HONESTLY! you're just ruint!'