Skip to main content

Reply to "A million to one Chance????"

quote:
Originally posted by JBear427:
That must be nice- I have a ten yard walk to get to my car- getting to work is a whole other story. Not sure how the numbers convert, I'm not familiar with the currency designation 92p.
They, er, didn't, JB, as Smart pointed out! Our currency is pounds sterling (£) and pence (p) 100p = £1.
quote:

But your pound is worth almost twice as much as our dollar, and I pay just over three dollars a gallon for fuel, which is roughly 3.8 liters.

They also have a Vehicle Excise Licence here aka Tax Disc. It is renewed annually or every six months if you opt for that.
Post-2001 cars have all sorts of different supposedly based on emissions from £60-£215 - before that there are two rates based on engine capacity split at 1549cc - £110 or £175.
Cars like my DS that were made before 1-1-1972 are free.
There are quite a few DSs in USA, and many 2CVs and Dyanes as well. Americans often mistake the latter for VW Beetles (Bugs in US) although there is little resemblance!

For 22 years I did a Transpennine commute to Manchester - 40 miles each way daily with whatever the weather threw at me - most Pennine roads all get blocked in winter.
There is even more traffic now, and poorer standards of driving. Frown Thank goodness I do not have to do that!