Skip to main content

Reply to "$20 for free! It’s true"

quote:
I could get most Sunday's off at my boarding schoo

Snap R2!

We lived abroad, so eventually my parents were forced by a new government language policy (all studies became compulsory in Sinhalese) to send me to school in the UK.

On the face of it, the school was thoroughly respectable and in lovely surrounds. An Elizabethan House (once owned by Florence Nightingale) in Romsey.

In reality, the teaching standards were poor, bullying was endemic, and the prefects were sadists! The old house was unheated and froze in Winter.

You got punished for every small infringement of the rules by the Prefects. In the Summer, you rolled the Cricket pitch with a roller that was meant to be pulled by a tractor - if there weren't ten of you in the "punishment squad" then you really struggled. The Prefects used to deliberately limit the numbers booked!

In Winter, you crawled on hands and knees to pick up stones! Very civilised.

I escaped on Sundays to the comparative peace and quiet of a Sunday School run by a Mr Fryer in the town.

Eventually I ran away and just took the train home! However that is another tale!

As an odd footnote, my main tormentor (i.e the school bully) has signed on Friends Re-united and asked for old pals to contact him! I am tempted, but I don't really want to be done for assault at my age!

I also vowed never to send my children to a Private School & didn't!

Paul