Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Now you’ve gone and done it – you’ve used up your 2009 allocation. Soon you’ll be dipping into your 2010 reserves. You’re posting beyond your means. I’ve seen this happen all to often. Someone gets overly excited about posting to region2 or me, and before you know it, they’ve spent their kids college posting-fund and transferred post-allotments from other forums just to continue to experience the rush. I’d suggest talking to a post-debt counselor and seeing if you can’t get on a post consolidation plan. Most forums, if they’re responsible, will access you in working out a payment plan.

Under the “Food for Thought” category: seeing that your last 3 posts (the first one was less than a month ago) have been about region2 and myself (my 2 favorite topics on this forum, by the way), isn’t it possible that if it weren’t for the two (or one) of us, you’d not be as active as you are on the forum? No need to thank region2 and me – our satisfaction comes from our motivating you to participate.

p.s. “Your reply proves my point” equals “See what I mean.” Are you predictable or am I psychic?
quote:
Originally posted by Roadman:
smart aleck
As in the case of asses (or arses), if one can be a smart one, does it not follow that one can be a dumb one? (I was unable to find a reference to “dumb aleck” in Wikipedia.) Like asses, do alecks come in the wise variety? And, just what is an aleck? Does it refer to a part of the body or a type of mammal as ass does? If so, where is my aleck or is it OK to covet thy neighbor’s aleck?

I’m only speculating, but wouldn’t one prefer that their aleck, like their ass, be smart instead of dumb? Perhaps one can train their dumb ass and/or aleck to be smart?
quote:
I thought this was the Ebay general Catagory not BLAST ANYONE WHO POSTS
The title you gave this thread appears to be a "BLAST". Nice little "release" for those built up tensions? (so much easier to GIVE advice than to FOLLOW it)

Remember - be original.

p.s. You're over your annual budgeted posting limit.
Roadman,

Here's the description for this section of the forum:
Feel free to discuss anything about eBay auctions. Buying, Selling, Lifestyles. Vent. Spread Rumors. Provoke discussion. Meet new friends. Just try to stay more or less on topic.

I feel that you and I need to do some more work on the Meet new friends part, but I'm up for it if you are? You definitely have the "Vent/Spread Rumors" well exercised. "Provoke discussion"? - that one is somewhat iffy.
I reckon Teester has hit the nail on the head! At Uni some boffins wrote software way, way before Windows that would respond to any question in a seemingly intelligent, but actually random, manner!
So, could R|ck be a computer program, responding to questions etc in a way that makes us think that he might be human when, in fact, he's just a few lines of code and a database of words and phrases?

R2
quote:
At Uni some boffins wrote software way, way before Windows that would respond to any question in a seemingly intelligent, but actually random, manner!

In fact it was an computer programme called Eliza that I remember did exactly that!
quote:
ELIZA is a computer program by Joseph Weizenbaum, designed in 1966, which parodied a Rogerian therapist, largely by rephrasing many of the patient's statements as questions and posing them to the patient. Thus, for example, the response to "My head hurts" might be "Why do you say your head hurts?" The response to "My mother hates me" might be "Who else in your family hates you?" ELIZA was named after Eliza Doolittle, a working-class character in George Bernard Shaw's play Pygmalion, who is taught to speak with an upper class accent.

Thats the Wikipedia entry.

I remember a cut down version being made available for the RML 380Z - very convincing!

Paul
quote:
about twice a year I come here after I post, check the communities. I have done his for several years now, and what do I always find? Yes some smart aleck comments and demeaning post that serious people have made. these 2 offer no meaning in their answers.Yes Rick and Region2 you have to go

First, I still think that Rick and Region2 are the same person. Anyway, if they are "booted", I would miss the R & R2 show which is infinitely better than any talk radio show.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.