Skip to main content

Say you and a friend are interested in the same types of auctions on ebay, and it turns out you both out-bid eachother quite often. And perhaps you both put in large bids/snipes. In the end you might win the auction; but darn, if only your friend hadn't bid at all, your winning price would have been much lower. The only real winner here is the seller.

Of course you could contact your friend before the auction ends, and ask politely to not bid. But collectors are competitive- even if they're friends.

Why not provide a service that will submit a SINGLE snipe on behalf of both of you? The service would collect snipe entries from 2 or more "friends" and only submit one snipe - the highest sniper in the group. You and your friend(s) would arrange a "friend group" on the sniper service, and submit your snipes in the context of being in that group. You would not know if anyone else in the group is bidding on the same items, nor what their snipe values are (that would only allow you to cheat).

In the end, the sniper service sends one bid on behalf of the group's "most serious" snipe, and if it wins, then it's potentially a lower sale price than if everyone had bid/sniped separately. If it lost, then everyone in the group would have lost the auction anyway.

What do you think - could AuctionSniper provide this "friendly-fire" sniping?
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Actually this service would save me a lot more than it would cost AS in revenue. So I'd be willing to pay an extra fee for this feature, such that we'd both benefit. I understand very few ebayers fall in this category, so it's not a high-demand option. But from a systems engineering perspective, it seems fairly straightforward to implement. Thanks for hearing me out anyway.
quote:
So I'd be willing to pay an extra fee for this feature, such that we'd both benefit.

I doubt that as long as AS has been in business, they would have overlooked an opportunity to increase their profits. I suspect providing adequate documentation to explain this, along with the support requests, and losing friends disagreeing with the outcome, et al, would more than destroy the potentially minimal profit it would generate.

quote:
But from a systems engineering perspective, it seems fairly straightforward to implement.
Things always look easier when someone else is doing them.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.